Rocky’s Roller Systems
Frequently Asked Questions
Below are frequently asked questions with links to videos and instructions to help make your life easier.
If you cant find what you are looking for please contact our head office at 1-800-663-8057
What if I have a warranty problem?
We’re serious about our ten-year hassle free warranty. Our reel systems are the best in the market as is our warranty program. If for any reason you have a problem with your reel system please telephone Rocky’s Reel Systems at 1-800-663-8705. One of our Customer Service Representatives will be more than happy to speak with you and help to resolve your issue quickly and in a hassle free manner. Please have your warranty number available as this will help us to help you.
Where do I place my reel system for the best possible effect?
The answer depends on the shape of your pool. Please refer to one (or all) of the following options:
- The instruction sheet provided with the reel system. This sheet provides helpful placement instructions and simple illustrations.
- Click the link on the Installation & Maintenance page of our website for placement instructions and illustrations.
- Call us at 1-800-663-8705 and we’d be more than happy to assist you over the phone.
- Email us for assistance at email@example.com. Sending us a picture of your pool and its unique features allows us to provide suggestions as to the placement of the reel system.
We’re here to help get you in your pool faster.
Why won't the Grommets stay together?
This problem is usually due to incorrect application.
For best results the strapping should be pushed as far over the shaft on the female grommet as possible. Once this is done, insert the male grommet and tap with a hammer, not too hard, but hard enough to snap them together. This typically resolves the problem.
You may also find it helpful to watch our Grommet Detail and Installation Video here:
How far apart should I place the strapping?
The usual distance is every three feet.
Check either the Instruction Sheet included with your reel system or refer to the Installation and Maintenance page on this website. Both will show details of how to attach your solar cover to the tube.
You may also want to refer to our Grommet Detail and Installation video here:
Although not necessary, some customers prefer to place the strapping at closer intervals. Additional strapping and grommets are available for purchase should you wish to place the strapping closer than three feet.
I have a wooden deck around my pool. Can I use the anchors included in kit?
No, the anchors in the kit are for concrete pool decks only.
If you have a wooden deck surrounding your pool we suggest you purchase wood anchors from your local hardware store. You may find it helpful to take the anchor bolt with you to ensure correct sizing.
Why does the drop in anchor (concrete seal) turn when I tighten the anchor bolt?
This happens occasionally, typically as a result of one of the following:
- The hole for the drop in anchor is too big. The right size hole is 1/2” round hole (1 1/2” deep). If the hole is more than 1/2” in diameter, you will need to drill another hole of the correct size and reset the anchors.
- The drop in anchor has not been centre punched. By doing this with a centre punch (or large nail) it will force the legs to open out into the concrete. This will secure it into the concrete and it will not rotate.
- You may have over-tightened the anchor bolts. You need only turn the bolt about two turns to engage the threads, this will be enough to hold the system while in use. If the anchor bolts have been over-tightened you can fix this by using a centre punch (or large nail) to reset the anchor in the same hole.
Why is my system difficult to reel up?
This does happen occasionally, but can be easily rectified by ensuring you do the following:
- Apply waterproof grease inside the black bushings. It isn’t necessary to use a high end lubricant, Vaseline works well. The lubrication will keep the system rolling smoothly. We recommend that you reapply the lubricant at least once a year to ensure ease of use.
- Check to see if the bolts securing the handle and white knob have been over tightened. Over tightening will cause too much friction and make turning the handle difficult. Just ease the pressure off the white knob and this should help.
- Check to see that you are using a suitable solar blanket. We recommend a 12mm solar blanket, using anything heavier is unnecessary and may become waterlogged causing the blanket to roll unevenly. Our reel systems are designed to function at their best with a 12mm solar blanket.
Lastly, you may want to check the tube guide table to make sure that you have the correct Rocky’s for the your pool size.
If you are still having difficulty please call us at 1-800-663-8705. We’re here to help get you in your pool faster.
Why does my cover crease when I reel it in?
Creasing happens for a couple of reasons, the first being when the system is not set squarely to the pool causing the solar cover to pull more on one side than the other. This will cause the roll-in/roll-out of the cover to bunch and crease. To remedy this simply reset the reel system square to the pool.
The other common reason for creasing is when the strapping is inconsistent and some straps are tighter than others. The uneven tension of the strapping results in creasing. To remedy this, take the straps off of the tube and refasten them so that each is the same length and placed at regular intervals. We suggest placing one strap every 3 feet. You may find it helpful to refer to our Grommet Details Assembly Video which has a section on strapping:
If your cover is still creasing after you have tried our suggestions listed above please call us at 1-800-663-8705 and we’ll try and trouble shoot over the phone.
If you have any other questions please contact us.
We have been selling Rocky’s Reel Systems for over ten years. The company is very easy to work with and the products speak for themselves. We wouldn’t work with any other manufacturer.
We’ve been pool owners since 1989 and we will only use a Rocky’s reel system. The quality of the product is so much better than anything else on the market.
Six years after I bought a Rocky’s, I had a small warranty issue with my reel. The friendly staff made the warranty process completely painless and I got my replacement part free of charge.
- New Jersey
I’ve been installing pools for over 20 years and the only solar cover reel system I will recommend is a Rocky’s.
I bought a plastic unit and it fell apart in two seasons, so I upgraded to a Rocky’s for a few dollars more and its lasted for eight seasons and still looks great.